A summary of my main achievements are shown here.
Education & Awards
- 2014 – present: MSc Blended and Online Education (in progress)
- 2015: Level 3 Certificate – Institute of Leadership and Management
- 2010: Lord Dearing Award for Teaching & Learning
- 2007 – 2009: Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education
- 2009: Open University – Practical Modern Statistics (Distinction)
- 2008: Open University – Analysing Data (Distinction)
- 2007: Wellcome Trust short course “Working with the HapMap”
- 1998 – 2001: PhD Molecular Biology
- 1995-1998: BSc Biological Sciences (Genetics) (1st class)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Member of the Staff & Educational Development Association (SEDA)
- Member of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT)
- Member of the European Society of Human Genetics (ESHG)
- Chair of University of Nottingham Distance Learning Producers’ Group (2014-present)
- Chair of the School of Life Sciences Distance-learning teaching group and overall Director of the MSc Clinical Science distance-learning courses (2009-present)
- Programme Director for MSc Clinical Science (Clinical Genetics) (2009-present)
- Programme Director for MSc Molecular Genetics & Diagnostics (2006-2012)
- Convenor for several MSc modules (see Teaching for module names) (2006-present)
- August 2006 – present: Lecturer in Human Molecular Genetics (University of Nottingham)
- Oct. 2004 – Aug. 2006: Postdoctoral research position funded by the Children’s Liver Disease Foundation. Haplotype analysis of patients with AAT deficiency.
- Nov. 2001 – Oct. 2004: Postdoctoral research position funded by EU Framework V. High density SNP maps of six candidate genes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Selected Grants & Funding
- Nottingham Molecular Pathology Node (NMPN) for Integrated Multi-platform Biomarker Research and Knowledge Transfer. (Co-investigator; 2015-2019) MRC £2.9M.
- Genetic studies of pre-eclampsia in Central Asian and European populations (Co-investigator; 2011-2016). EU Framework 7 (InterPregGen; 282540) €5.96M (~£4.75M). University of Nottingham is the co-ordinating centre.
- Deep sequencing of IREB2, an iron regulatory protein, from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) subjects (2011) Sally Chappell, Noor Kalsheker, Mohammad Ilyas, Lucy Fairclough. £2000; MOL Research Committee, University of Nottingham.
- Modernising Scientific Careers – National Tender for HEI provision (main scheme 2011 onwards) Co-wrote the tender document and attended interview which led to Nottingham being awarded preferred provider status for the Modernising Scientific Careers programme (ranked 1st from 41 HEIs) (~£900k over 3 years; recruitment and income ongoing).
- Modernising Scientific Careers – National Tender for HEI provision (pilot scheme 2009-2013) The University Nottingham was awarded the contract to run the pilot scheme for the Modernising Scientific Careers programme (~£500k).
- Characterisation of a mutation in CLCN5 causing Dent Disease I (2010) Wellcome Trust Vacation Scholarship for an undergraduate student from the University of Birmingham. £1440 subsistence allowance.
- Multi-School expansion of rapid podcasting resources (2010) Paddy Tighe, Sally Chappell & Jonathan Ball (MOL), Claire Chambers & Michele Clark (Geography), Rolf Wiesemes (Education). £18,310. Teaching & Learning Fund, University of Nottingham.
Recent Research Papers
A full list can be found on the “Publications” page.
- WAIN, L; ODENTHAL-HESSE, L; ABUJABER, R; SAYERS, I; BEARDSMORE, C; GAILLARD, E; CHAPPELL, S; DOGARU, CM; McKEEVER, T; GUETTA-BARANES, T; KALSHEKER, N; KUEHNI, C; HALL, I; TOBIN, M and HOLLOX, E. (2014) Copy number variation of the beta-defensin genes in Europeans: No supporting evidence for association with lung function, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma. PLoS ONE. 9(1):e84192.
CHAPPELL SL, DALY L, LOTYA J, ALSAEGH A, GUETTA-BARANES T, ROCA J, RABINOVICH R, MORGAN K, MILLAR AB, DONNELLY SC, KEATINGS V, MACNEE W, STOLK J, HIEMSTRA PS, MINIATI M, MONTI S, O’CONNOR CM and KALSHEKER N, 2011. The role of IREB2 and transforming growth factor beta-1 genetic variants in COPD: a replication case-control study BMC Medical Genetics. 12, 24
HAQ, IMRAN, CHAPPELL, SALLY, JOHNSON, SIMON R, LOTYA, JUZER, DALY, LESLIE, MORGAN, KEVIN, GUETTA-BARANES, TAMAR, ROCA, JOSEP, RABINOVICH, ROBERTO, MILLAR, ANN, DONNELLY, SEAMAS C, KEATINGS, VERA, MACNEE, WILLIAM, STOLK, JAN, HIEMSTRA, PIETER, MINIATI, MASSIMO, MONTI, SIMONETTA, O’CONNOR, CLARE and KALSHEKER, NOOR, 2010. Association of MMP – 12 polymorphisms with severe and very severe COPD: A case control study of MMPs – 1, 9 and 12 in a European population. BMC Medical Genetics. 11(1), 7
CHAPPELL, S and KALSHEKER, NA (2010) Molecular Genetics of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. In: Encyclopedia of Life Sciences 2010, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichesterhttp://www.els.net/ [DOI: 10.1002/9780470015902.a0022414]
MORGAN, K., CHAPPELL, S., GUETTA-BARANÉS, T., MORLEY, S. and KALSHEKER, N., 2009. The alpha-1-antitrypsin gene promoter in human A549 lung derived cells, and a novel transcription initiation site International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology. 41(5), 1157-1164
CHAPPELL, S., GUETTA-BARANÉS, T., HADZIC, N., STOCKLEY, R. and KALSHEKER, N., 2009. Polymorphism in the endoplasmic reticulum mannosidase I (MAN1B1) gene is not associated with liver disease in individuals homozygous for the Z variant of the alpha1-antitrypsin protease inhibitor (PiZZ individuals)Hepatology. 50(4), 1315